The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is a knowledge of our own ignorance - Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Greatness of Gandhiji

Thursday, April 08, 2010
                                                                                           I found myself humming De dee hamein aazaadi bina khadg bina dhal, Sabarmati ke sant tune kar diya kamaal as I touched the sacred dust of Porbunder, the Janmabhumi (birth place) of Gandhiji. The moment my son and I entered the house where Gandhiji was born, my son, already familiar with the Saint by means of the great movies like Attenborough’s Gandhi and Rajkumar Hirani's Lage Raho Munnabhai, turned into a livewire. Forgetting his fatigue from the long journey and discomfort from the scorching heat of Mid-March in Gujrat, he roamed about in the entire three-storeyed house of Gandhiji asking questions about him, and expressing wonder at the myriad information he was getting. In my effort to answer his intelligent questions, I was reading frantically from the various engravings, posters, and paintings housed in the large museum in the adjoining building. The more I read about him, the deeper my longing became to feel his spirit in those surroundings.

We then came to Ahmedabad, the Karmabhumi (work place) of Gandhiji, and visited Sabarmati Ashram. Something about the atmosphere of the Ashram made me feel very peaceful. I felt privileged to walk on the land where Gandhiji had walked his Dandi March. Strolling around the Ashram premises, I walked into the museum building, and came across a poster in which Gandhiji was quoted as saying –

“I am mostly busy making sandals these days. I have already made about 15 pairs. When you need new ones now, please send me the measurements. And when you do so, mark the places where the strap is to be fixed – that is on the outer side of the big toe and the little one.”

It dawned upon me that Gandhiji belonged to the elite group of Yogis comprising Shri Krishna – the Gopal (who grazes cows), Jesus Christ – the Shepherd, Kabir Dasji – the Weaver, and Sant Raidasji – the Shoemaker. When such Yogis are at work, every work – humble or great, becomes the expression of their divinity!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is welcome